About Great Lakes Gas Transmission Limited Partnership

Great Lakes is a 2,115-mile interstate natural gas pipeline system with an average design capacity of approximately 2,400 million cubic feet per day (MMcf/d) and provides a direct, cost-effective link between western Canada's abundant natural gas basin and major industrial and market centers in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and eastern Canada. Great Lakes connects to natural gas storage centers in Michigan and, through TransCanada’s Mainline pipeline system, interconnects to the Dawn, Ontario market region. Great Lakes also interconnects with other interstate natural gas pipelines, including TransCanada’s ANR pipeline system, that primarily source natural gas from the Gulf of Mexico and Mid-Continent regions. Great Lakes Gas Transmission Limited Partnership is operated by a subsidiary of TransCanada Corporation. TC PipeLines, LP owns 46.45 percent of Great Lakes. The remaining 53.55 percent is held by subsidiaries of TransCanada.

Quick Asset Facts:

  • Commenced Operations: 1967
  • Originates Near: Emerson, MB, Canada
  • Terminates Near: Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada and St. Clair, MI
  • Length (miles): 2,115
  • Number of Compressor Stations: 14
  • Number of Active Physical Receipt / Delivery Points: 15 / 57
  • Installed Horsepower: 438,000
  • Design Capacity (MMcf/d): 2,400